Frequently Asked Missouri Legal Questions

Q: Do You Have a Free Initial Consultation?
Yes – absolutely. Our initial consultation with you is free, after which we will ddicuss the cost of futher legal services.

Q: What Counties in Missouri do you serve?
We practice in all of the counties of West Central Missouri, with a particular emphasis in Henry County, Cass County, Johnson County, Pettis County, Benton County, St. Clair County, Bates County, Laclede County and the communities of Clinton, Lebanon, Windsor, Warrensburg, Harrisonville, Garden City, Urich, Adrian, Butler, Appleton City, Montrose, Lowry City, Osceola, Warsaw, Lincoln, and Cole Camp, MO.

Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
We are happy to take payment in several convenient ways, from cash and checks to MasterCard, VISA, American Express & Discover.

Q: How Much Does a Divorce Cost?
Unfortunately there is no simple answer to this question, as every client’s case is different. The fee for legal services is ultimately based on the amount of time necessary for us to fight to obtain a positive result for our clients.

Q: How Much Does it Cost to File Bankruptcy?
The cost of bankruptcy depends upon the exact type of bankruptcy you need to file. We will be able to quote an exact fee after the free initial consultation.

Q: Can You Take Payment in Installments?
Yes. We try to recognize our client’s individual financial situation and work with them on payment of the legal services fees.

Q: I Have a Personal Injury, but I Don’t Have Money to Hire an Attorney. What Can I Do?
There are no up-front costs to have us file a personal injury claim for clients we work with. Our office accepts personal injury claims on a percentage basis, meaning that the fee is based on a set fraction of the amount of recovery.

Q: What Should I Do Following an Accident to Ensure That My Rights Are Protected?
If you are injured in an accident, your first priority should be your health. Seek medical attention immediately, and give your doctors an accurate history of your accident. Keep detailed records – including photographs and a journal, as well as notes about anything else you think may be of help, or related, to your case. It is vitally important that you seek legal counsel as soon as possible, once you have tended to your own personal health.

Q: If I am Injured, Should I Cooperate with Insurance Company Representatives or Investigators that Contact Me Regarding the Accident?
Insurance company representatives and / or investigators work for the insurance company, not for you. It is vitally important that you have an attorney at your side who has your back, to make sure that there is an investigation of the facts, rather than leaving this work up to biased insurance company employees.

If you are contacted by an insurance company representative, refer them to our office (after talking to us and ), so we can take charge of the investigation, defend your rights and make sure they do not take advantage of you. Most importantly, DO NOT give a recorded statement to an insurance adjustor or investigator, without legal counsel being present.

Q: Can You Get My Speeding Ticket Reduced? If So, How Much Will it Cost?
Generally speaking, we are able to get our clients’ speeding tickets resolved so it does not negatively impact their drivers’ licenses. The costs involved depend upon the individual’s circumstances and where the speeding ticket was obtained.

Q: What are legal grounds for divorce – called ‘dissolution of marriage’ – in Missouri?
The state of Missouri has the option of a “no fault” divorce, meaning you don’t necessarily have to be able to prove something like adultery occurred to obtain a dissolution of marriage. Most often, ‘irreconcilable differences’ are the standard grounds for dissolution with your spouse, although other options are available that may fit your situation – we highly recommend that you speak with us before coming to this conclusion.

Q: What should I do if I receive a subpoena or summons?
Once you have read the summons (a message informing you that you may be the defendant in a lawsuit) or subpoena (command from a court to appear at a certain place and time to provide testimony and/or produce some forms of evidence) read it, take note of the date you received it and contact us as soon as possible. It is likely that you may not understand some of what is contained within, and do not consider ignoring a subpoena or summons, as doing so may result in an order for your arrest.